The US Open first-round tie between former World number one Daniil Medvedev and Benjamin Bonzi became highlight of today’s (Monday) show, when the Russian lost his cool during the game. (more…)
Web Desk
-
Ur Airlines emergency landing in Baghdad: VIDEO
BAGHDAD: In recent airline emergency landing incidents, a flight operated by Ur Airlines, which was en route from Najaf to Beirut, had to make an emergency landing at Baghdad International Airport due to a technical fault in its pressurisation system, ARY News reported.
Before the emergency landing in Baghdad took place, passengers onboard the Iraqi aircraft had experienced great panic as cabin pressure issues prompted the crew to initiate precautionary landing procedures.
In a video circulating on social media, the tense situation inside the cabin can be seen, showing upset passengers reacting to the evolving scenario.
According to the reports, the aircraft made a safe landing in Baghdad with no injuries reported. Later on, Ur Airlines confirmed the incident, describing the cause as a “technical issue” that required an emergency landing.
The airline ensured that all passengers who were onboard and the crew members were unharmed, and that the airline was arranging alternatives to transport travellers to Beirut.
#فيديو | هلع على متن طائرة «أور» المتجهة من #النجف إلى #بيروت https://t.co/Ny6VQ2zQMJ#صحيفة_الخليج pic.twitter.com/UWQrqZono9
— صحيفة الخليج (@alkhaleej) August 24, 2025
Iraqi Airways, in response to the people’s gossip, released a statement to clarify some rumours. They said the fleet that made an emergency landing at Baghdad International Airport does belong to them. They said, “The stories saying one of our planes landed in an emergency are false. That aircraft belongs to another airline and has nothing to do with Iraqi Airways,”.The national carrier reaffirmed its pledge to international aviation safety standards and regular fleet inspections.
The incident has sparked new discussions about how to keep flights safe and why it’s essential for airlines to share information during emergencies clearly.
Read More: Islamabad flight aborts Karachi landing amid intense rain
Earlier, following heavy rainfall and stormy weather in Karachi last week, a private flight from Islamabad to Karachi was diverted amid stormy weather, due to a disruption in PIA operations.
On Tuesday, August 19, 2025, a private airline flight from Islamabad to Karachi faced severe stormy weather, causing the pilot to abort landing in Karachi and return safely to Islamabad.
-
Oman to launch golden visa program with digital trade reforms
SALALAH: The Sultanate of Oman is scheduled to announce its highly anticipated Golden Visa program on August 31, 2025, offering permanent residence to global investors.
The initiative has been announced by the Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Investment Promotion (MOCIIP), and it aims to generate foreign funds and boost economic growth through regulatory modernisation and digital transformation.The Oman Golden Visa will provide renewable 5 or 10-year residency permits to qualified investors and their families, including spouses, children under 25, and dependent parents, without the need for local sponsorship.
Applicants may apply and qualify in different domains, including real estate purchases, business ownership, or capital spending in priority sectors such as renewable energy, IT, tourism, and construction.
According to the visa launch, Oman will present a set of digital trade improvements, including a new electronic commercial registration transfer service via the “Oman Business” platform.
These reforms are helpful to update business processes, minimise operational costs, and improve transparency across the investment ecosystem.
Under the support of Sayyid Marwan bin Turki Al Said, Governor of Dhofar, the official announcement will be made in due course.
The Oman Golden Visa initiative will be launched in collaboration with the “Al Majida Companies” program, which supports high-performing Omani firms in expanding their regional and global footprint.
Read More: Greece Digital Nomad Visa for Pakistanis in 2025- Complete Guide
Mubarak bin Mohammed Al Douhani, Director-General of Planning at MOCIIP, highlighted that the program presents Oman’s commitment to creating a stable, investor-friendly environment that is aligned with Vision 2040 goals.
The program will not only support cultural exchange, but also enhance tourism and educational aspects.
This initiative comes after Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates introduced similar long-term residency programs, to enhance economic stability, and boost tourism.
-
Complainant arrested in Dharmasthala mass burial case
DHARMASTHALA: Karnataka’s Special Investigation Team (SIT) has arrested a former cleaning worker at the Manjunatha Swamy Temple in India’s Dharmasthala on charges of perjury.
The former worker was arrested for the claims he had made about mass rapes, murders, and secret mass burials at the temple for more than two decades.
The accused in the Dharmasthala temple case said that he had worked between 1995 and 2014 at the temple and alleged that he was forced to perform mass burials of hundreds of women and minors.
In his testimony before a magistrate in July ealier this year, he presented a human skull, which he claimed was recovered from one of the burial sites.
However, later forensic analysis unovered discrepancies, with investigators confirming that the recovered skull and bone fragments from two sites were not linked to the claims he had made.
According to the investigations, it was found that the remains were of a male individual who had probably committed suicide.
The Indian authorities conducted searches at 17 locations, many of them in remote areas, following the Dharmasthala temple case. Out of the 17, only two sites had skeletal remains, which have been sent for forensic testing.
Read More: Federal Minister takes notice of damage to Katas Raj Temple
The administrator of the temple and a member of India’s Rajya Sabha, Veerendra Heggade, greeted the investigation team and assured the temple’s complete cooperation in the Dharmasthala temple case.
He termed the allegations baseless, and expressed trust in the judicial system and investigation teams.
The case has caused tensions in Karnataka, with Opposition leaders from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) slamming the investigation for what they call was an injustice to the majority Hindu community.
The BJP laders have been demanding the case be handed over to the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
State Home Minister G. Parameshwara mentioned that the government was concentrating to uncover the truth. He said, “If we find nothing, Dharmasthala will only become stronger. If we find something, we will ensure justice is done.”
Legal experts believe that more arrests could happen if investigators find evidence of a planned conspiracy.
-
Shakib joins elite list of bowlers as he dismisses Rizwan in CPL
Bangladesh all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan joined an elusive list of bowlers in T20 cricket by dismissing Mohammad Rizwan in their CPL 2025 game.
The former Bangladesh captain became just the fifth bowler to have taken 500 or more wickets in T20 cricket.
Shakib achieved the milestone during his Antigua and Barbuda Falcons’ game against St Kitts and Nevis Patriots in CPL 2025 on Sunday.
Coming into the attack in the 15th over of the innings, the left-arm spinner almost hit the 500-wicket mark on the third delivery.
Jayden Seales got hold on to a catch on the boundary, however, replays showed that he had stepped on the boundary cushion.
However, Shakib Al Hasan took just three more deliveries to complete his 500 wickets in T20 cricket.
Read more: Bangladesh ex-skipper Shakib Al Hasan announces retirement
The former Bangladesh captain completed a return catch to dismiss Mohammad Rizwan on the last delivery of the same over.
With the wicket in the CPL 2025 game, he became just the fifth bowler in the history of the shorter format to take 500 or more wickets.
Afghanistan’s Rashid Khan tops the list with 660 wickets, followed by West Indies’ Dwayne Bravo with 631 scalps.
West Indies’ Sunil Narine is the third, having 590 wickets, while South Africa’s Imran Tahir has 554 wickets.
Meanwhile, Shakib Al Hasan took two more wickets in Sunday’s CPL 2025 game after dismissing Rizwan to take his tally to 502 wickets in T20 cricket.
It is worth noting here that he former Bangladesh captain is the only player to have 7,000 runs to his name and 500 wickets in the shorter format.
-
Austin Butler opens up on prospects of playing James Bond
Hollywood actor Austin Butler has shared his true feelings about playing James Bond in the upcoming entry by director Denis Villeneuve.
While Butler has starred in Villeneuve’s ‘Dune: Part Two’ in 2024, he ruled himself out of the race to become the new 007.
Speculation about the casting for the lead role intensified after Amazon MGM Studios roped in the notable filmmaker in June to direct the next entry in the iconic spy franchise.
Several names have been mentioned, including US, British and Australian actors to play the titular role in the upcoming entry.
However, the makers have been largely silent on the plans about the casting for the next James Bond film.
During a recent interview with a US media outlet, Austin Butler was quizzed if he would be open to reunite with Denis Villeneuve for the upcoming film, having worked with him on ‘Dune: Part Two.’
“No calls as far as that goes, but I love that man,” he said. “Would I play James Bond? I don’t think that would be a good idea. Because I’m an American. I can do an accent but that would be kind of sacrilegious.”
Read more: Austin Butler Calls ‘Caught Stealing’ His Most Vulnerable Role Yet
The Hollywood actor was of the view that an actor from the UK should take up the job to best portray the character, which is a British MI6 agent.
“Those movies meant so much to me, but I think that it’s gotta be somebody who is from [England],” the ‘Dune’ actor said.
Austin Butler was, however, open to play the role of villain in the next James Bond film.
“That would be alright. I’d do that,” he said.
-
Ishaq Dar meets BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia in Dhaka
DHAKA: Pakistan’s Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister, Ishaq Dar, paid a visit to Bangladesh’s former Prime Minister and BNP Chairperson, Begum Khaleda Zia, at her residence in Dhaka on Sunday, August 24, ARY News reported.
The meeting lasted about 15 minutes and was part of Ishaq Dar’s official two-day visit to Bangladesh, which was the first by a Pakistani foreign minister in over a decade.
According to the Foreign Office of Pakistan, Ishaq Dar inquired about Khaleda Zia’s health and expressed best wishes on behalf of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif.
Both leaders discussed bilateral relations, regional partnership, and strategies for fostering prosperity.
Ishaq Dar praised the contributions of Khaleda Zia during her tenure as Bangladesh’s Prime Minister and recalled her 2006 visit to Pakistan, which was a significant moment in Pakistan-Bangladesh relations.
Senior BNP leaders, including Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir and Standing Committee member Dr AZM Zahid Hossain, were also part of the meeting, along with Pakistan’s Ambassador to Bangladesh, Imran Haider.
Ishaq Dar’s visit came at a time when the relationship between the two countries is getting better after recent political changes in Bangladesh.
The recent visit also matches with the signing of six agreements that will help with trade, media, academic exchanges, and make it easier to get visas.
Read More: Ishaq Dar holds meetings with Bangladesh’s political leadership
Earlier, Ishaq Dar met the political leadership of Bangladesh during his visit to the South Asian country.
“As part of Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister’s interaction with different political stakeholders, Senator Mohammad Ishaq Dar held a meeting with a delegation of Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami, Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP), and National Citizens Party (NCP),” the Ministry of Foreign Affairs posted on X.
Regional cooperation featured prominently in the discussions, during which Bangladesh’s foundational role in establishing SAARC was acknowledged.
-
NADRA rolls out new Pak ID features
ISLAMABAD: The National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA) has announced a key update to its Pak-ID mobile application, introducing different user-friendly features to simplify identity registration processes.
The new features are aimed at providing ease to the people, especially for parents of young children.NADRA- NIC, NICOP, FRC Information Portal
According to NADRA, the recent update in the Pak-ID app now allows parents to upload photographs directly from their mobile gallery while applying for the Child Registration Certificate (CRC) or identity card for children under the age of three.
This addition in the Pak-ID mobile application eliminates the requirement of visiting NADRA offices in person and waiting in long queues.
The user-centric feature has several upgrades, including the photo uploading flexibility, by which users can print their submitted photographs on official identity documents, family record updates, which help citizens update records of unregistered family members directly through the app, free Biometric access, which supports application submission without fingerprint or facial verification, improving accessibility for users with limited biometric access, and improved Urdu interface, that enhances Urdu language support and ensures clearer instructions and better navigation for native speakers.
NADRA is bringing enhancements as part of its plan to advance services under the Pak Identity program.
This includes features like tracking IDs in real time, booking appointments at NADRA centres, and paying fees online using services like Easypaisa, JazzCash, and e-Sahulat.
NADRA is encouraging everyone to download or update the Pak-ID app, which can be used on both Android and iOS devices, to enjoy these new features completely.
Read More: NADRA introduces application status tracking feature on Pak-ID app
Earlier, the National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA) introduced a new feature in its upgraded Pak-ID mobile application, enabling citizens to track the status of their applications online.
With this feature, citizens no longer need to visit NADRA centres to obtain or update identity documents.
All services related to CNICs, B-Forms, and Family Registration Certificates (FRCs) are now available through the Pak-ID mobile app.
-
‘The Thursday Murder Club’ debuts with near-perfect RT score
Netflix’s ‘The Thursday Murder Club,’ starring Helen Mirren and Pierce Brosnan, debuted with an impressive Rotten Tomatoes score.
Directed by Chris Columbus, the film is based on Richard Osman‘s best-selling novel of the same name.
As per its synopsis, “The Thursday Murder Club follows four irrepressible retirees – Elizabeth (Helen Mirren), Ron (Pierce Brosnan), Ibrahim (Ben Kingsley) and Joyce (Celia Imrie) – who spend their time solving cold case murders for fun.
“When an unexplained death occurs on their own doorstep, their casual sleuthing takes a thrilling turn as they find themselves with a real whodunit on their hands. Directed by Chris Columbus, the film is the latest to be produced through the Netflix and Amblin Entertainment partnership.”
The film, which arrived in theatres in the United Kingdom on August 22, will debut on Netflix on August 28.
Read more: Helen Mirren, 80, gets honest about her retirement plans
Ahead of its streaming release, critics have given a near-perfect score to the film on Rotten Tomatoes.
Based on 14 different critics’ reviews, the film has earned a near-perfect 93 precent score.
Majority of the critics gave the film scores between 7 out of 10 and 9 out of 10, indicating that the Netflix film has left quite a positive impression.
Apart from Helen Mirren and Pierce Brosnan, the film also stars Ben Kingsley, Jonathan Pryce, Richard E. Grant, Celia Imrie, David Tennant, Naomi Ackie, and Tom Ellis.
At the film’s premiere in London last week, Mirren said that it was great to see older people’s life experiences celebrated on screen.
“We underestimate older people. I did it when I was 25,” Helen Mirren said at the time.