web analytics

Jahangir Khan

  • Taliban-led Afghan govt decides to start first anti-polio campaign

    Taliban-led Afghan govt decides to start first anti-polio campaign

    ISLAMABAD: The interim government of Afghanistan led by the Taliban has decided to begin its first anti-polio campaign from November 8 to vaccinate children aged up to 5 years.

    It would be the first polio vaccination campaign in Afghanistan by the Taliban-led interim government to which the Kabul administration has informed about its decision to Pakistan.

    The Afghan health minister issued a letter to the provincial administration and polio emergency operation centre to order the commencement of the preparations ahead of the upcoming anti-polio campaign across the country.

    The acting Minister of Public Health of Afghanistan Dr Qalandar Ibad directed the provinces to take necessary steps for running a successful polio vaccination campaign. Dr Ibad also asked the citizens to support the government in the upcoming anti-polio campaign.

    afghanistan anti-polio campaign taliban pakistan

    Sources told ARY News that one poliovirus case each was reported on Pakistan and Afghanistan this year. Both countries had organised anti-polio drives at the same time in past.

    Sources added that the number of poliovirus cases was significantly reduced following the close coordination and contacts between Pakistan and Afghanistan governments.

    It is important to mention here that Afghanistan and Pakistan are the only two remaining polio-endemic countries in the world. Coordinated steps and anti-polio campaigning will ensure the eradication of poliovirus from both countries.

  • NCOC allows schools to resume normal classes from Oct 11

    NCOC allows schools to resume normal classes from Oct 11

    ISLAMABAD: National Command and Operation Center (NCOC) head Asad Umar on Thursday announced that all educational institutions would start normal classes from October 11, ARY News reported.

    The planning and development minister made this announcement in a post shared on his official Twitter handle.

    “Based on the reduced level of COVID disease spread and the launch of the school vaccination program, it has been decided in today’s NCOC meeting to allow all educational institutions to start normal classes from 11th October,” he said in a tweet.

    Educational inquisitions were earlier operating on 50pc capacity across the country.

    Earlier, the National Command and Operation Center (NCOC) had announced to ease COVID-19 restrictions from October 1.

    Addressing the press conference flanked by SAPM on health Dr Faisal Sultan, NCOC chief Asad Umar said it had been decided to relax restrictions from October 1 (Friday) in eight cities where forty percent population aged fifteen and above have been vaccinated against the COVID-19.

    These cities include Skardu, Gilgit, Muzaffarabad, Mirpur, Islamabad, Quetta, Peshawar and Rawalpindi.

    In addition, the minister had announced the reopening of shrines and cinema halls in these cities for the fully vaccinated people.

    “Other cities will continue to face previous restrictions by 15th of this month,” the minister had announced.

  • Police baton-charge protesting doctors in Islamabad

    Police baton-charge protesting doctors in Islamabad

    ISLAMABAD: The situation in protest outside the Pakistan Medical Commission (PMC) turned violent as police baton-charged and fired tear gas on young doctors protesting in Islamabad against National Licencing Examination (NLE), ARY News reported on Tuesday.  

    According to details, the protesters entered the building of the commission and hurled stones at the police personnel when they tried to stop the doctors.

    In return, the police baton-charged and fired tear gas on the doctors to take them out of the PMC building. Meanwhile, Special Assistant to Prime Minister on Health Dr Faisal Sultan has called on a delegation of the doctors and currently holding talks with the doctor.

    Earlier, Pakistan Medical Commission (PMC) termed the organization of National Licencing Examination (NLE) ‘successful’ and announced that full licences would be immediately issued to the successful medical graduates for practice in the country.

    Read more: FULL LICENCES TO BE ISSUED TO MEDICAL GRADUATES FOR PRACTICE: PMC

    Pakistan Medical Commission (PMC) organised National Licencing Examination (NLE) for the first time. The exam was held in five major cities including Islamabad, Lahore, Peshawar, Quetta and Karachi.

    The PMC spokesperson had said that it is necessary for medical graduates to clear the National Licencing Examination (NLE) for getting their registration to continue medical practice in Pakistan.

  • Health ministry allegedly violates merit to appoint new head of CMU

    Health ministry allegedly violates merit to appoint new head of CMU

    ISLAMABAD: The health ministry has allegedly violated the merit to appoint the new head of its Common Management Unit (CMU) by giving the responsibility to a Grade-20 officer of the Secretariat Group, citing sources, ARY News reported on Monday.

    Sources told ARY News that an officer of the Secretariat Group was given a key post in the health ministry in violation of the merit after removing Dr Bushra Jameel as the head of the Common Management Unit (CMU).

    Muhammad Bashir Khetran has been appointed as the new head of the health ministry’s Common Management Unit (CMU).

    Muhammad Bashir Khetran is already performing duties as the health ministry’s joint secretary and now he has been given the additional responsibility of CMU, sources added.

    It was learnt that the alleged violation of merit was committed as Khetran is a Grade-20 officer of the Secretariat Group while the candidate’s eligibility criteria for the key post is MBBS and a post-graduate degree in public health.

    Moreover, the ‘out-of-merit’ appointment of Khetran was made despite the availability of several senior doctors of Grade-20.

    It is important to mention here that the Common Management Unit (CMU) had been constituted during the tenure of the Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz (PML-N). The common unit had been established to manage the national programs for controlling TB, HIV and Malaria.

    Earlier, Dr Nasir had been appointed as the first head of the CMU, whereas, Dr Amir Ikram and Dr Safdar Rana had also performed duties as the CMU head earlier.

  • NCOC lifts restrictions in six districts as Covid wave wanes

    NCOC lifts restrictions in six districts as Covid wave wanes

    ISLAMABAD: The National Command and Operation Centre (NCOC) decided on Tuesday to lift additional restrictions imposed in six districts to contain a Delta-driven surge in Covid-19 infections.

    The cities where restrictions will be eased from Sept 23 include Lahore, Faisalabad, Multan, Sargodha, Gujrat, and Bannu.

    ALSO READ: NCOC ALLOWS 25PC CROWDS FOR NATIONAL T20 CUP MATCHES: SOURCES

    The decision was made during a meeting of the NCOC with Planning and Development Minister Asad Umar in the chair.

    The NCOC said SOPs for the entire country will remain in place until Sept 30. It noted that Sinopharm vaccine is available in abundance in the country.

    ALSO READ: 81 MORE SUCCUMB TO CORONAVIRUS IN PAKISTAN IN A SINGLE DAY

    On Sept 20, the NCOC allowed COVID vaccine jabs to be administered to lactating mothers and pregnant women. The country’s top platform managing response to COVID-19 said that the COVID vaccine is safe and effective for lactating mothers and pregnant women.

    “The vaccine can be administered at any stage of pregnancy,” it said, ruling out any risks in this regard.

  • NCOC allows 25pc crowds for National T20 Cup matches: sources

    NCOC allows 25pc crowds for National T20 Cup matches: sources

    ISLAMABAD: The National Command and Operation Centre (NCOC) has approved 25 per cent crowd attendance for the upcoming National T20 Cup matches, ARY News reported on Monday, citing sources.

    The NCOC, according to sources, has allowed the 25 percent attendance till September 30.

    The forum will hold another meeting on September 28 to decide on increasing the number of spectators, said sources.

    Only spectators who are fully vaccinated and have an Immunisation Certificate for Covid-19 will be allowed entry inside the stadia.

    The NCOC has asked Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to ensure the implementation of coronavirus SOPs during the T20 matches.

    It is pertinent to mention here that PCB’s centrally contracted players will also take part in the National T20 Cup after following New Zealand’s decision to pull out of a series against Pakistan due to some unfounded security threats.

    Read: PULLING OUT OF PAKISTAN AHEAD OF ODI SERIES ‘A REAL SHAME’, SAYS NZ CAPTAIN

    The media statement of the Pakistan Cricket Board, following the postponement of the first of one day international (ODI), said that New Zealand Cricket unilaterally decided to postpone the series.

    The tournament, initially scheduled to be played in Multan from September 25, will now start two days ahead of schedule in Rawalpindi, where matches will be held till October.

    The second phase of the tournament will be played in Lahore from October 4-11.

    The event will feature all top Pakistan players who will play for the six provincial associations.

  • Man involved in smuggling, black-marketing of Covid injections nabbed

    Man involved in smuggling, black-marketing of Covid injections nabbed

    ISLAMABAD: A member of a gang involved in smuggling and black-marketing of coronavirus injections has been arrested in Islamabad, reported ARY News.

    The man was arrested in a sting operation and an Actemra injection was seized from his possession.

    Drug Regulatory Authority of Pakistan (DRAP) Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Dr Asim confirmed the arrest of the man saying he was selling an Actemra injection for as high as Rs110,000, though its official rate was Rs59,000.

    Also Read: GANG SMUGGLING, SELLING DRUGS USED TO TREAT COVID-19 PATIENTS BUSTED

    A DRAP official disguising as a customer purchased the injection from the man over phone, he said, adding videos of the purchase and payment thereof were recorded.

    Dr Asim pointed out that the gang was involved in the smuggling and black-marketing of coronavirus injections.

    Efforts are afoot to hunt more members of the gang, the DRAP CEO said.

  • Pakistan to vaccinate 15-18 years children from Monday

    Pakistan to vaccinate 15-18 years children from Monday

    ISLAMABAD: The government has decided to further lower the Covid vaccination age to 15 years in the country, quoting sources ARY News reported on Saturday.

    According to sources, the government has decided to launch vaccination of the children of upto 15 to 18 years age as efforts to inoculate general public being expedited in the wake of the fourth virus wave in the country.

    The vaccination drive for the children between 15 to 18 years will begin from September 13 and they will inoculated with the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine, sources said.

    The National Command and Operation Centre (NCOC) has approved vaccination of the citizens aged between 15 to 18 years, according to sources.

    The federal government had earlier disclosed its plan to begin COVID vaccination for people aged below 18 in the country.

    “In the first phase, vaccination will be approved for people in the age bracket of 15 and 18 while in the second phase, people aged between 12 and 15 will be inoculated,” sources said earlier adding that NADRA has also been consulted on how the process could be facilitated.

    Yesterday, NCOC chief Asad Umar had said as many as 50 million citizens have received at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine while more than 20 million had been fully vaccinated against the viral disease.

  • NCOC extends closure of educational institutions

    NCOC extends closure of educational institutions

    ISLAMABAD: National Command and Operation Centre (NCOC) – Pakistan’s nerve centre to control the Covid-19 pandemic – has decided to extend the closure of all educational institutions till September 15 in districts with high coronavirus prevalence, ARY News reported on Thursday.

    The decision was taken in an NCOC meeting held in Islamabad on Thursday with Planning Minister Asad Umar in the chair.

    The National Command and Operation Centre (NCOC) also decided to extend a number of additional non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) in districts with high coronavirus prevalence in Punjab, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Islamabad for a week.

    In a notification issued, the NCOC said the restrictions enforced till September 12 have been extended till September 15 in 15 districts of Punjab; Rawalpindi, Lahore, Gujrat, Gujranwala, Sheikhupura, Sialkot, Faisalabad, Sargodha, Khushab, Mianwali, Bhakkar, Khanewal, Multan, Bahawalpur and Rahim Yar Khan; eight districts of KP; Peshawar, Swabi, Malakand, Swat, Haripur, Abbottabad, Mansehra and Dera Ismail Khan; and Islamabad.

    Under the restrictions, all types of outdoor and indoor gatherings and intercity public transport will be banned while indoor gyms and educational institutions will remain closed.

    Separately today, the NCOC team along with Assistant Commissioners Islamabad Capital Territory (ICT) on Thursday visited various areas of the city to check the compliance of COVID-19 Standards Operating Procedures (SOPs) in educational institutions.

    NCOC team along with concerned Assistant Commissioners visited the areas including Badia Mera G-15, G-11, H-8, Bhara Kahu.

    AC’s concerned sealed and imposed fines on the private sector schools in various areas for opening their institutions despite clear closing instructions.

    As many as 84 deaths and 4,062 cases were reported during the previous 24 hours, said the National Command and Operation Centre (NCOC) on Covid-19 on Thursday.

    It said the nationwide death toll rose to 26,497 after 84 more people died of the viral disease.

  • Health ministry issues final warning to unvaccinated employees

    Health ministry issues final warning to unvaccinated employees

    ISLAMABAD: The unvaccinated employees of the health ministry are likely to face strict action as a final warning has been issued to them by the higher authorities, ARY News reported on Wednesday.

    The employees of the health ministry have been issued a final warning before taking a strict action for not receiving COVID-19 jabs so far despite being asked for multiple times.

    The health ministry said in a statement that the employees had been directed to submit their COVID-19 vaccination certificates, however, 17 officers and workers have not yet received COVID-19 jabs.

    READ: HISTORIC VACCINATION NUMBERS AS PAKISTAN JABS OVER 1.5 MIL PEOPLE TODAY

    The employees have been ordered to get vaccinated today besides the submission of their COVID-19 vaccination certificates. The new order read the unvaccinated employees will be considered absent from their duties from August 2.

    Earlier on Tuesday, it emerged that the COVID-19 vaccination of federal employees was still incomplete despite the continuous warnings issued by the concerned authorities.

    321 out of 13,386 employees of the health ministry have not yet received COVID-19 jabs, sources told ARY News. It emerged that 6,602 family members of the health ministry’s employees were vaccinated.

    READ: MINORS AGED 12 TO 17 WITH WEAK IMMUNITY CAN GET COVID JABS STARTING TODAY

    The COVID-19 vaccination of cent per cent staff of Federal Medical and Dental College (FMDC), Poly Clinic and Pakistan Institute of Medical Science (PIMS) has been completed, whereas, 99 pc staff of TB Hospital received COVID-19 jabs.

    Sources added that the vaccination of employees of some federal institutions was not completed that include 20 workers of the health ministry, staffers of Sheikh Zayed Hospital, National Council for Tibb (NCT), Safe Blood Transfusion Programme (SBTP), Pakistan Medical Council (PMC) and Common Management Unit.

    It is pertinent to mention here that both federal and provincial governments have announced measures aimed at imposing restrictions on unvaccinated individuals to boost the COVID vaccination drive in the country.