web analytics

Jahangir Khan

  • Pakistan reports fourth polio case of 2022

    Pakistan reports fourth polio case of 2022

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Wednesday reported fourth polio case of the year 2022 as a minor boy from North Waziristan was left paralysed by wild poliovirus, ARY News reported Wednesday quoting the health department.

    According to a statement issued by the Ministry of Health, the wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) was confirmed in the boy from North Waziristan district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province by the polio laboratory at the National Institute of Health, Islamabad.

    It is learnt that the said boy was not administered anti-polio drops during the drive against the crippling disease.

    After staying a polio-free country for almost 15 months, Pakistan has reported four cases of polio in 2022 so far. All the cases have been reported in North Waziristan.

    A five-day anti-polio campaign is currently underway across Pakistan. The polio drive began on May 23.

    During the campaign, approximately 43.3 million children under the age of five years will be administered the anti-polio vaccine, reported Radio Pakistan.

    Read more: Pakistan reports third polio case

    A supplementary dose of Vitamin A drops will also be administered to children aged 6 to 59 months. Around 340,000 frontline workers will take part in the campaign to administer vaccines to the children at their doorsteps.

    Earlier, inaugurating the campaign, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif had assured that the government would take all measures to eradicate this crippling disease from the country.

  • PPP to get presidency, chairman Senate’s slots as PML-N agrees

    PPP to get presidency, chairman Senate’s slots as PML-N agrees

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) and Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) have agreed over a power-sharing formula under which presidency and chairman Senate’s positions will be given to the former, ARY NEWS reported.

    According to sources, the PPP has received a green signal for getting key positions of presidency and chairman Senate. “In return of getting constitutional positions, the PPP will withdraw from the slot of governor Punjab,” they said, adding PML-N will support PPP for presidency, whenever it gets vacated.

    The sources within the Pakistan People’s Party said that Moulana Fazlur Rehman wanted to become president however, both the PPP and PML-N opposed the idea.


    “Four ministries and deputy speaker’s slot are enough for JUI-F,” the PPP leaders said while speaking on condition of anonymity.

    They said that as per the seats, PPP reserves all the right to have constitutional position. Meanwhile, the sources shared that Fazlur Rehman is annoyed over not getting the presidential slot.

    It has previously emerged that the Pakistan People’s Party is interested in the president, National Assembly speaker and Senate chairman positions instead of ministries in new coalition setup led by Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif.

    Sources mentioned that the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) is not interested in federal ministers. Instead, they have asked for the three federal positions.

    Read More: People’s Party divided over joining new cabinet

    A good majority of the party leadership advised electoral alliance (for the next general elections) instead for ministries. A source said that a senior party leader said the offer should be accepted provided there is one on at least 15 seats.

  • Polio case reported in Pakistan after 15 months

    Polio case reported in Pakistan after 15 months

    ISLAMABAD: The NEOC Coordinator Dr Shahzad Baig confirmed that a poliovirus case was reported in Pakistan after 15 months which is the third polio case in 2022 globally, ARY News reported on Friday.

    Pakistan national polio laboratory has confirmed that the new polio case was detected in North Waziristan, whereas, the last poliovirus case had been reported back on January 27, 2021, from Killa Abdullah – Balochistan.

    The polio laboratory had also confirmed the detection of positive environmental samples collected from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) earlier in the month.

    The government is organising special campaigns on an emergency basis to completely eliminate the poliovirus.

    READ: IN LETTER TO ALVI, BILL GATES LAUDS PAKISTAN’S ‘REMARKABLE’ PROGRESS IN FIGHT AGAINST POLIO

    Dr Shahzad Baig, the Coordinator of the National Emergency Operations Centre for Pakistan Polio Eradication Programme (NEOC), appealed to the parents for administering anti-polio drops to their children.

    He said in a Twitter thread, “Deeply saddened to share that a 15-month-old boy has been paralyzed in North Waziristan, Southern KP, as #Pakistan confirms a wild #poliovirus case after nearly 15 months.”

    “I feel grieved but determined. This only strengthens our resolve to do more, to keep doing better, and do whatever it takes to ensure that no child ever again is paralyzed by polio. All of us must play our part in increasing awareness on #polio in Pakistan.”

    READ: BILL GATES THANKS PM IMRAN FOR PRODUCTIVE DISCUSSION ON POLIO ERADICATION

    Dr Baig said, “Without global polio eradication efforts, an estimated 20 million people today would be paralyzed by this disease. #Pakistan and #Afghanistan are the only two polio-endemic countries left in the world. Our children too, deserve a polio-free life.”

    He added, ” This highly infectious virus affects the most vulnerable amongst us, children under five, causing lifelong paralysis or death. No child in the world should have to suffer like this, especially from a virus that is preventable.”

    The coordinator said that the Pakistan Polio Programme traces and hunts down the virus wherever it may be harbouring. This case is both tragic, while at the same time, not entirely unexpected, after positive virus samples appeared in the environment in south KP late last year.

    “At the beginning of this year, an emergency action plan was initiated for the area. It is being implemented with immediacy and urgency, allowing us to reach more children than ever before,” said Dr Baig.

    He detailed that following the confirmation of this case in NW and a positive virus sample in Bannu, the brave health workers are working tirelessly to ensure that the virus does not spread elsewhere.

    Health minister chairs session

    Federal Health Minister Abdul Qadir Patel chaired a session to review the current situation of poliovirus cases in the country which was attended by the federal health secretary, DG health, NEOC coordinator and senior officers.

    The NEOC coordinator gave a detailed briefing to the health minister in which he confirmed the emergence of a polio case in North Waziristan today.

    Patel directed officials to expedite efforts for curbing the spread of the virus. He added that the elimination of poliovirus is our religious and moral responsibility.

  • Bilawal Bhutto Zardari puts condition to take oath as federal minister

    Bilawal Bhutto Zardari puts condition to take oath as federal minister

    ISLAMABAD: Deadlock persists in Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz and Pakistan People’s Party as Bilawal Bhutto Zardari did not take oath as foreign minister today (Tuesday).

    Sources privy to the development said that the consultation regarding Bilawal’s oath as minister in PM Sharif’s cabinet has been done and the decision has been conditionally attached with the provision of ministries to ANP and Mohsin Dawar.

    The PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari has expressed concern over Shehbaz Sharif’s failure to fulfil promises made with the Awami National Party (ANP) and Mohsin Dawar and Bilawal will take up the issue with Nawaz Sharif.

    Read more: Federal cabinet portfolios revealed

    Sources further said that Bilawal Bhutto Zardari is expected to depart for London tonight, where he will meet former prime minister Nawaz Sharif and discuss the issue with him.

    Nawaz Sharif will also host an iftar dinner for the PPP chairman.

    Earlier today, Prime Minister Shahbaz Sharif s 34-member cabinet took oath and due to the illness of President Dr. Arif Alvi Chairman Senate and Acting President Sadiq Sanjarani took oath from the new cabinet.

    Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, speaker of National Assembly Raja Pervaiz Ashraf and other officials also attended the ceremony.

  • PPP divided over joining new cabinet

    PPP divided over joining new cabinet

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) stands divided over joining the new federal cabinet most likely to be led by PML-N President Shehbaz Sharif, ARY News reported on Monday.

    Sources privy to the matter told ARY News that the majority of PPP lawmakers were against joining the federal cabinet and suggested supporting the new set up sans taking ministries.

    Some other PPP leaders were in favor of joining new federal cabinet for bringing political stability in the country, they said.

    In this connection, PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari and former president Asif Ali Zardari have started consultation regarding new cabinet while a final decision is expected in the coming days, well-informed sources informed ARY News.

    It is pertinent to mention here that the National Assembly will meet on Monday (today) at 2pm to elect the new prime minister of the country.

    Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) President Shehbaz Sharif and PTI leader Shah Mahmood Qureshi vying for the coveted slot.

    The National Assembly Secretariat Sunday accepted the nomination papers of President PML-N Shehbaz Sharif and Vice Chairman PTI Shah Mahmood Qureshi for the slot.

    Former PM Imran Khan was de-seated from the highest office of the country through the opposition-moved no-confidence motion in a session of the lower house of Parliament that ended in the early hours of Sunday after a full day of high drama.

  • No-confidence motion: BAP decides to support opposition

    No-confidence motion: BAP decides to support opposition

    ISLAMABAD: In a rapidly changing political environment ahead of a no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Imran Khan, Balochistan Awami Party (BAP), an ally of the PTI government on Monday has decided to support opposition parties, ARY News reported, citing sources. 

    The development comes after an important meeting between the former president and Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari and  Parliamentary Leader of the Balochistan Awami Party (BAP) Khalid Magsi at the Parliament Lodges.

    Sources privy to the development said that BAP has assured opposition parties of their support ahead of the no-confidence motion against PM Imran Khan

    BAP leaders along with former president Asif Ali Zardari will hold a joint presser shortly.

    Earlier on Sunday, the Parliamentary Leader of BAP Khalid Magsi had said that they would decide on support during the no-trust move.

    Read more: Usman Buzdar resigns, Pervaiz Elahi to be new Punjab CM

    “There will be a lot of news for you from tomorrow evening,” Khalid Magsi had said while speaking to ARY News.

    He had said that the BAP was in contact with the MQM-P and PML-Q while a discussion is also undergoing within the party for a final decision. “Public gatherings will not decide the matter rather numbers will decide the fate of the no-trust against Prime Minister Imran Khan,” he had said.

  • NA session: PPP to assign responsibilities to MNAs today

    NA session: PPP to assign responsibilities to MNAs today

    ISLAMABAD: The opposition party, Pakistan People’s Party (PPP), will assign important responsibilities to its Members of the National Assembly (MNAs) for the upcoming NA session tomorrow related to the no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Imran Khan, citing sources, ARY News reported on Thursday.

    Ahead of the no-confidence motion against PM Imran Khan, PPP has summoned the session of its parliamentary party at Zardari House – Islamabad today.

    Sources within the opposition party told ARY News that the parliamentary party session will be attended by Asif Ali Zardari and Bilawal Bhutto Zardari. PPP MNAs will be given special instructions regarding tomorrow’s NA session and important responsibilities will be assigned to the lawmakers.

    READ: PPP TO SC: ARTICLE 63(A) CAN’T BE INVOKED BEFORE NO-TRUST VOTE

    The lawmakers will also be sought to table recommendations for the forthcoming NA session. Asif Ali Zardari will also host a dinner for the MNAs, sources added.

    PPP, MQM-P ‘consensus’

    PPP and the government ally party Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQM-P) have reportedly agreed on provincial-level matters in a meeting held to discuss the political situation arising out of the no-trust motion tabled against PM Khan.

    Sources privy to the development told ARY News that the MQM-P delegation on Thursday arrived at Zardari House, Islamabad to meet Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) leadership on no-trust motion and political matters.

    The MQM-P delegation–led by convener Khalid Maqbool, Aamir Khan, Waseem Akhtar, Aminul Haque and others met with Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) Co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari and PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari.

    READ: PPP ‘NOT INVITED’ TO PDM LONG MARCH TO ISLAMABAD

    Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah, Information Minister Saeed Ghani, Nasir Shah and other members from the provincial government held talks with PPP leadership.

    Sources said that both parties have agreed on provincial-level matters and announced the formation of committees to oversee implementation on key points finalised in the meeting.

    The committee comprises six members from both parties – MQM-P and PPP, said sources. As per sources, PML-N and JUI-F played a key role in bringing two rival parties to one table.

    Earlier, both parties agreed to form a long-term working relationship in the “wider interest of the nation”.

    READ: NO-TRUST MOVE: BAP INDECISIVE AS ‘MAJORITY SUPPORTS PTI GOVERNMENT’

    Lower House session

    The National Assembly session had been convened on March 25 by Speaker of the Lower House of the Parliament Asad Qaiser at the requisition submitted by the joint opposition for tabling no-trust motion against the premier.

  • No-confidence motion: NA Secretariat issues notices to lawmakers

    No-confidence motion: NA Secretariat issues notices to lawmakers

    The National Assembly (NA) Secretariat has formally informed the lawmakers regarding the no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Imran Khan, ARY News reported on Friday.

    The NA Secretariat has issued notices to the Members of the National Assembly (MNAs) regarding the no-confidence motion against PM Imran Khan. The notices were issued to the NA lawmakers along with a copy of the no-trust move in accordance with the assembly’s rules and regulations.

    The no-trust move had been submitted by the opposition’s lawmakers under Article 95.

    READ: PM IMRAN KHAN SAYS ‘TURNCOATS EXPOSED, NO-TRUST MOVE TO FAIL’

    On March 8, the joint opposition had submitted a no-trust motion against the premier to the National Assembly (NA) Secretariat.

    The opposition had also filed a requisition notice seeking a session of the lower house of Parliament to table the no-trust move.

    More than 100 lawmakers from the opposition parties had signed the no-confidence motion, sources said.

    PML-N’s Khawaja Saad Rafique, Marriyum Aurangzeb, Ayaz Sadiq, Rana Sanaullah, PPP’s Naveed Qamar, Shazia Marri and JUI-F’s Shahida Akhtar Ali had submitted the no-trust motion before NA Secretariat.

  • Federal govt decides to shut NCOC: sources

    Federal govt decides to shut NCOC: sources

    ISLAMABAD: Federal government has decided to shut National Command and Operations Centre (NCOC), a nerve centre for nationwide coordination on COVID-19 cases, at the end of the ongoing month, ARY NEWS reported.

    According to sources privy to the matter, the NCOC will be dysfunctional by March 31 and the National Institute of Health (NIH) will monitor the COVID situation in the country from April 01.

    “The Centre for Disease Control (CDC) at NIH, which is not fully functional currently, will be monitoring the COVID situation from April 01,” they said and added that currently, the record is being transferred from NCOC to CDC.

    The NCOC was established in March 2020 and was headed by Planning and Development Minister Asad Umar and was responsible for coordination between centre and provinces for tackling the deadly infection across the country besides also managing resources for COVID control.

    The NCOC is also responsible for preparing the national vaccination strategy.

    Pakistan’s COVID-19 cases have witnessed a decline recently and on Friday, the country reported as many as 723 new Covid cases and seven fatalities in the last 24 hours, according to the government’s database.

    Read More: Deltacron: Covid variant that combines Delta and Omicron identified

    The National Command and Operation Centre (NCOC) said a total of 39,540 samples were tested, out of which 723 or 1.83 per cent turned out to be positive.

    The nationwide tally of confirmed Covid cases stands at 1,517,512 while the death toll is 30,298. The number of critical Covid patients in various hospitals across the country has come down to 677.

  • No-confidence motion: Chaudhry Shujaat seeks time for support

    No-confidence motion: Chaudhry Shujaat seeks time for support

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q) chief Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain on Wednesday sought time for supporting no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Imran Khan, ARY News reported.

    PML-Q, an ally party of PTI government in centre and Punjab is holding meetings with the different political leadership and on Wednesday, Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain reached Zardari House in Islamabad to meet former president Asif Ali Zardari, amid rapidly changing political scenario.

    The current political situation and the issue of the no-confidence motion, tabled by the opposition in the National Assembly, were discussed in the meeting, according to sources.

    PPP chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, Chaudhry Shujaat’s son Salik Hussain were also present in the important meeting. During the meeting, the PML-Q chief sought time for support on the no-confidence motion against PM Imran Khan.

    Read more: JAHANGIR TAREEN GROUP, PERVAIZ ELAHI AGREE TO MAKE JOINT DECISIONS

    PML-Q leaders Moonis Elahi and Tariq Bashir Cheema in a meeting with three federal ministers made it clear to them that PML-Q would have no other option to support opposition if treasury lawmakers crossed the floor, sources said.

    “15 govt lawmakers are in contact with opposition parties and if they voted against PM Imran Khan then we would be left with no other option except to support the opposition,” the PML-Q leader was quoted as saying.

    The joint opposition on Tuesday submitted a no-trust motion against Prime Minister Imran Khan in the National Assembly secretariat.

    The opposition also filed a requisition notice seeking a session of the lower house of the Parliament to table the no-trust move.

    PML-N’s Khawaja Saad Rafique, Marriyum Aurangzeb, Ayaz Sadiq, Rana Sanaullah, PPP’s Naveed Qamar, Shazia Marri and JUI-F’s Shahida Akhtar Ali submitted the no-trust motion in the NA Secretariat.