web analytics

AFP

  • Eleven dead, dozens hurt in fire at Saudi Arabia housing complex

    The fire started in the basement of a tower in the eastern city of Khobar, the kingdom’s civil defence said on Twitter.

    It added that several of the injured were in a “critical condition” and that the casualties were from “various nationalities,” without giving details.

    Photographs published on the civil defence website showed plumes of black smoke rising from the windows of one of the buildings.

    Authorities said that residents of nearby towers were evacuated as helicopters took part in the firefighting operations.


    Several dead in fire at Saudi Arabia housing… by arynews

    Firefighting teams “are combing all towers to ensure there are no people” trapped inside, said the civil defence.

    “The incident is currently under control and cooling operations are ongoing,” it said in another tweet later in the afternoon.

    Saudi Aramco, the world’s largest oil company in terms of crude production and exports, released a statement confirming the fire at the residential complex, adding that the incident was being investigated.

    The company says it employs more than 61,000 workers worldwide from 77 countries.

  • India lead Sri Lanka by 132 runs

    Skipper Virat Kohli was unbeaten on one and Rohit Sharma was on 14 after the tourists were reduced to 7-3 by the sixth over.

    India made 312 in their first innings and Sri Lanka replied with 201 on a day in which 15 wickets fell at the Sinhalese Sports Club.

    Sri Lanka won the opening Test in Galle by 63 runs and India drew level with a 278-run victory in the second match at the P. Sara Oval in Colombo last Monday.

  • Pakistan will continue to respond to India border attacks: Asif

    Nine died near the city of Sialkot and more than 40 were wounded on Friday, less than a week after high-level talks were aborted amid a row over Kashmir.

    India said at least four villagers were killed in Indian-administered Kashmir by Pakistani fire.

    “We will counter this situation on all levels. If war is forced on us we will take good care of them,” Defence Minister Khawaja Asif told AFP.

    “Absolutely we have the right to retaliate, and retaliate in kind, retaliate in full force,” Asif said after he visited the wounded in hospital.

    He added: “If India crosses the international border and aggression is committed again, we will defend our homeland and inflict much more damage than 1965,” Asif said.

    The 1965 war between the two countries took place over two weeks in September, and each September 6 Pakistani media eulogises the army for thwarting Indian “aggression”.

    Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif would raise the issue of continued aggression at a UN General Assembly session next month, Asif said.

    A meeting between the Indian and Pakistani national security advisers in New Delhi on Sunday was called off at the last minute following a dispute about whether the agenda should include Indian occupied
    Kashmir.

    Shelling across the Line of Control (LoC) and the “working boundary” in Punjab — has been on the rise this month.

  • Pujara’s comeback ton lifts India

    The tourists, who resumed at 50-2 after a rain-curtailed opening day, moved to 292-8 by stumps on the second day at the Sinhalese Sports Club with Pujara holding fort on a watchful 135 not out.

    Pujara, who had been dropped for India’s last four Tests across Australia, Bangladesh and the ongoing series, may not have played this match too if both regular openers Murali Vijay and Shikhar Dhawan had been fit.

    The 27-year-old grabbed the chance to notch up his seventh Test century that has so far included 13 boundaries.

    Fast bowler Prasad bowled superbly to take four wickets in the innings, including two off successive balls on either side of the lunch break that reduced India to 119-5.

    Number nine batsman Amit Mishra came to India’s rescue with a defiant 59 during an eighth wicket stand of 104 with Pujara which boosted the total.

    Just 15 overs had been bowled in the 75 minutes of play possible due to rain on the opening day after India had been sent in to bat on a greenish pitch under overcast conditions.

    When play resumed under bright skies on the second day, the tourists were restricted to 22 runs in the first 15 overs by some accurate bowling by the Sri Lankans.

    Indian skipper Virat Kohli survived a torrid opening over from Prasad in which he was lucky to escape a loud shout for leg-before off the second ball and was beaten by the final ball of the over.

    Kohli added four runs to his overnight score of 14 when Sri Lankan captain Angelo Mathews, who replaced Prasad at the bowling crease, had his counterpart caught behind by Kusal Perera.

    Rohit Sharma added 55 runs for the fourth wicket with Pujara, scoring 26 with three fours and a six before he edged a catch to first slip off Prasad in what became the final delivery of the morning session.

    Prasad, who still had one ball to bowl in the over on resumption, trapped Stuart Binny leg-before with the first delivery to open up India’s lower order.

    Debutant wicket-keeper Naman Ojha helped Pujara add 54 for the sixth wicket, himself making 21 before he holed out in the deep attempting to smash off-spinner Tharindu Kaushal out of the ground.

    Prasad removed Ravichandran Ashwin with the first ball of a new spell, caught behind by Perera for five, but Mishra joined Pujara to frustrate Sri Lanka.

    Mishra reached his half-century by driving seamer Nuwan Pradeep to the cover fence for his seventh boundary, but fell soon after when he was stumped off left-arm spinner Rangana Herath.

    The series is locked at 1-1 after Sri Lanka won the opening Test in Galle by 63 runs and India drew level with a 278-run win in the second match at the P. Sara Oval in Colombo on Monday.

  • In first, headscarf-wearing woman named minister in Turkey

    Aysen Gurcan, a 52-year-old academic, was appointed Friday to be the minister in charge of family and social policies in the provisional government of Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu that will run the country until November 1 elections.

    The mother of three is also a member of the board of the Foundation for Youth and Education (TURGEV), of which Bilal Erdogan, a son of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, is an executive.

    The NGO was at the centre of a corruption scandal involving Erdogan, who was then prime minister, as well as his family and political entourage.

    Over the past two years, Turkey has lifted bans on women and girls wearing headscarves in schools and state institutions, moves denounced by opponents as undermining the basis of the country’s secular society.

    Erdogan, who co-founded the ruling Islamic-rooted Justice and Development Party (AKP), called new elections after Davutoglu failed to form a coalition government with the opposition after June polls.

  • Sleep-deprived kids are more tempted by food

    Five-year-olds who slept less than 11 hours a night were more eager to eat at the sight or reminder of a favorite snack, compared to those who slept longer, researchers reported in the International Journal of Obesity.

    The children who slept less than 11 hours at night also had a higher body mass index – a measure of weight in relation to height – than those who slept 11 hours or more. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends 11 to 12 hours of sleep for pre-school children.

    “There is now accumulating evidence in both children and adults to suggest that short or insufficient sleep increases reward-driven (‘hedonic’) eating,” said Laura McDonald, the study’s lead author and a researcher at University College London, in email to Reuters Health.

    “This is, of course, a concern,” she added, “given that we live in a modern ‘obesogenic’ environment” where tasty, high-calorie foods “are widely available and cheap to consume.”

    Previous studies have shown that too little sleep significantly increases the chances that a child will be overweight or obese, McDonald and her team point out. But less was known about how sleep affects daily calorie intake.

    “Some studies using brain imaging in adults have shown that sleep restriction increases responsiveness in reward centers of the brain in response to images of palatable food . . . however, no studies in children have examined whether sleep changes food responsiveness,” noted McDonald.

    The new study involved 1,008 five-year-olds born in 2007 in England and Wales. The researchers had mothers answer a questionnaire about their youngsters’ responsiveness to food cues and their behavior toward food when they were presumably full, soon after eating.

    The average sleep duration for the children in the study was 11.48 hours.

    Among kids who slept less than 11 hours a night, food responsiveness was 2.53 on a scale of 1 to 5, compared to 2.36 for those who slept 11 to 12 hours, and 2.35 for those who got at least 12 hours of sleep a night.

    “In children who do not get enough sleep at night, limiting exposure to palatable food cues in the home might be helpful at preventing overconsumption,” McDonald said.

    The study found no link between sleep duration and whether kids were still willing to eat when they were full.

    While the study can’t prove that less sleep causes more eating, McDonald said another possibility is that the reverse might be true. “It is definitely a possibility that food responsiveness might impact sleep behavior,” she said. “For example, it could be that children who are more food responsive are also more difficult to settle at night (when adults or older children might be eating).”

    Emerson Wickwire, director of the Insomnia Program at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, told Reuters Health by email that the study adds a new twist to research showing sleep is a risk factor for obesity.

    “The current study suggests a new potential explanation (hedonic eating) for weight gain among children who sleep less . . . in other words, kids in the study who slept less were more susceptible to unhealthy food cues in the environment,” said Wickwire, who was not involved in the study.

    Wickwire said the study also showed the importance of sleep for children.

    “We know that parents have a huge influence on the sleep patterns of five-year-olds. So really, it’s incumbent on parents to make sure their kids are getting enough sleep,” said Wickwire, a board-certified sleep specialist.

  • India reel under twin blows from Sri Lanka

    The tourists, who resumed at 50-2 after a rain-curtailed opening day, plodded to 119-4 by lunch at the Sinhalese Sports Club with the recalled Cheteshwar Pujara holding fort with an unbeaten 55.

    The side is batting at 125/5 Pujara and Naman Ojha at the crease.

    Rohit Sharma, who added 55 runs for the fourth wicket with Pujara after the early dismissal of skipper Virat Kohli, was removed in the last over before lunch to leave India in trouble.

    Sharma made 26 with three fours and a six before he edged a catch to first slip off fast bowler Dhammika Prasad, who was rewarded for a hostile spell in the session.

    Pujara, playing for the first time in the series, has so far hit six boundaries in his seventh Test half-century.

    Just 15 overs were bowled in the 75 minutes of play possible due to rain on the opening day and in that time India, sent in to bat on a greenish pitch under overcast conditions, lost two wickets.

    The tourists were restricted to 22 runs in the first 15 overs of the second morning by some accurate bowling by the Sri Lankans on a clear, sunny day.

    Kohli survived a torrid opening over from Prasad in which he was lucky to escape a loud shout for leg-before off the second ball and was beaten by the final ball of the over.

    Kohli added four runs to his overnight score of 14 when Sri Lankan captain Angelo Mathews, who replaced Prasad at the bowling crease, had his counterpart caught behind by Kusal Perera.

    Off-spinner Tharindu Kaushal, who came on to bowl in the 40th over, was hit for three boundaries by Pujara off his first three deliveries.

    Sharma looked in good touch as he lofted spinner Rangana Herath for a six, but failed to see out the session.

    The series is locked at 1-1 after Sri Lanka won the opening Test in Galle by 63 runs and India drew level with a 278-run win in the second match at the P. Sara Oval in Colombo on Monday.

  • US teen jailed more than 11 years for Islamic State conviction

    Ali Shukri Amin, 17, from the small town of Manassas an hour’s drive from Washington DC, will be subject to a lifetime of supervised release and monitoring of his Internet activities.

    He is thought to be the first minor convicted in the United States of providing material aid to the extremist group, which has declared a caliphate in Iraq and Syria.

    The prolific Twitter user, who sent more than 7,000 messages on the site in support of Islamic State, pleaded guilty in June.

    Under the Twitter handle @Amreekiwitness, he provided IS supporters with instructions on using the virtual currency Bitcoin to conceal financial donations to the radical Islamist group and the best way to encrypt their online exchanges.

    He also offered guidance to sympathizers seeking to travel to Syria to fight with IS, including another Virginia teen, Reza Niknejad, who traveled to Syria to join IS in January.

    Niknejad, 18, was charged in June with conspiring to provide material support to terrorists, conspiring to provide material support to IS and conspiring to kill and injure people abroad.

    US prosecutors welcomed the sentence.

    Assistant attorney general John Carlin said “more and more” IS propaganda is seeping into American communities “reaching those who are most vulnerable.

    “The Department of Justice will continue to use all tools to disrupt the threats that ISIL poses,” he said, using an alternative acronym for the group.

    Those who use social media to support IS would be “prosecuted with no less vigilance” than those who take up arms for the group, said US attorney Dana Boente.

    Amin’s lawyer, Joseph Flood, had described his client as a stellar student from a good family who was outraged by rights abuses under Syria’s President Bashar al-Assad.

    When Amin pleaded guilty, Flood said he was the first minor convicted in the United States of providing material aid to IS.

    In Florida, a 27-year-old Kenyan was sentenced to 15 years for conspiring to support Al-Qaeda, and its affiliates in Syria and Somalia, Al-Nusra Front and the Shebab, prosecutors said Friday.

    Mohamed Hussain Said, who pleaded guilty in May, received wire transfers from a co-conspirator destined for Shebab and recruited experienced Shebab fighters to fight in Syria.

    US prosecutors said he also tried to recruit others for attacks inside the United States.

    On Thursday, another man was arrested in Arizona and charged with providing material support to IS for allegedly helping a New York college student travel to Syria to train for jihad.

    The head of the FBI, James Comey, told lawmakers last month that upwards of 200 Americans have traveled or attempted to travel to Syria to join IS.

  • Facebook celebrates one billion users in single day

    “We just passed an important milestone,” chief executive and co-founder Mark Zuckerberg declared in a post on his Facebook page.

    “On Monday, 1 in 7 people on Earth used Facebook to connect with their friends and family.”

    “When we talk about our financials, we use average numbers, but this is different,” Zuckerberg added.

    “This was the first time we reached this milestone, and it’s just the beginning of connecting the whole world.”

    Zuckerberg also posted a video dedicated to the achievement.

    In its earnings update last month, Facebook said monthly active users surged 13 percent from a year ago to 1.49 billion. The number of mobile active users rose to 1.31 billion.

    Facebook on Thursday also said it is building new technology that video creators can use to guard against their works being copied at the social network without permission.

    “This technology is tailored to our platform and will allow these creators to identify matches of their videos on Facebook across pages, profiles, groups, and geographies,” a blog post said.

    “Our matching tool will evaluate millions of video uploads quickly and accurately, and when matches are surfaced, publishers will be able to report them to us for removal.”

    Facebook planned to soon begin testing the new matching technology with a select group of partners, including media companies.

    The California-based social network said that it has got word from some publishers that videos are sometimes uploaded to Facebook without permission in a practice referred to as “freebooting.”

    Facebook is already using an Audible Magic system that uses audio “fingerprinting” to identify and block copyrighted videos from making it onto the social network without proper authorization.

    “We want creators to get credit for the videos that they own,” Facebook said.

    “To address this, we have been exploring ways to enhance our rights management tools to better empower creators to control how their videos are shared on Facebook.”

  • Russia launches Proton rocket with British satellite

    A Proton-M rocket carrying an Inmarsat-5 F3 communications satellite launched from Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan at 1144 GMT as scheduled, Russia’s space agency said.

    “The launch went as planned,” spokesman for the Russian space agency Roscosmos Igor Burenkov told AFP.

    “All the systems operated remarkably well.”

    The launch is crucial for Inmarsat, Britain’s biggest satellite operator, which said that together with two other satellites, it will create “the world’s first globally available, high-speed mobile broadband service, delivered through a single provider.”

    A similar rocket carrying a Mexican satellite fell back to earth on May 16 after suffering an engine malfunction in one of a series of embarrassing failures for Russia’s troubled space programme.

    The state-run Khrunichev Centre spacecraft manufacturer said the failure was due to a construction flaw in one of the engines.