web analytics

AFP

  • McDonald's Japan hit by another food scandal

    The company said it temporarily closed the outlet in Osaka this week, and sent a notice to 95 other restaurants that offer the kind of green tea latte frappe sold to the woman, who said she sustained injuries to her mouth.

    Dozens of pieces of plastic were found inside the beverage, a company spokesman told AFP, adding that a plastic instrument used to make the drink may have been the source.

    “At this point it is just a hypothesis but we think this plastic tool slipped into a blender to make the frappe,” he added.

    McDonald’s Japan unit has been battered by a series of scandals including a human tooth found in some fries.

    Last summer, a Chinese supplier was found to be mixing out-of-date meat with fresh produce, sending sales plunging and forcing a rapid switch to a Thai vendor.

    In April, the company announced it would renovate 2,000 of its 3,000 Japanese outlets and shut down another 130, while reducing its headcount in a bid to cut costs.

    That came after it said in February it had lost a worse-than-expected 21.8 billion yen ($182 million) for 2014 — against a year-earlier profit — recording its first loss in 11 years. – AFP

  • Another man attacked by shark in Australia

    Emergency teams said they were called to treat the man, who reported being knocked off his surf ski — similar to a kayak — by a shark, at Black Head Beach about 225 kilometres (140 miles) north of Sydney before noon.

    “The man fell into the water and was able to get back on the surf ski. He managed to get closer to shore where bystanders were able to help him from the water,” New South Wales police said in a statement.

    The 65-year-old sustained lacerations on one leg, authorities said with a spokesman for the rescue helicopter telling Australian Associated Press he had been bitten “to the bone” on the ankle.

    Late last month several beaches in New South Wales state further north of Friday’s attack were closed after a bodyboarder was seriously injured by a shark.

    Weeks earlier, a surfer suffered serious arm and leg injuries after being bitten at Evans Head in New South Wales’ far north, the same area where a Japanese surfer died in February after his legs were torn off in a shark attack.

    The New South Wales state government has ruled out culling sharks, but is also undertaking a review of new control technologies with a report to be completed in the coming weeks.

    “These attacks are unprecedented, they’re extraordinary and they are going to require action,” New South Wales Premier Mike Baird said on Friday.

    He added: “I have to be open to (shark) nets, notwithstanding how difficult I find them personally, it’s something that we have to be open to because we have to keep this community safe.”

    Sharks are a regular feature in Australian waters and experts believe attacks may be increasing in number simply because more people are engaging in water sports.

  • Pakistan's fading Parsi community looks abroad

    The ancestors of today’s Parsis in Pakistan — followers of Zoroastrianism, one of the world’s oldest religions — fled Persia over a millennium ago for the safety of the western Indian subcontinent.

    Legend has it Parsi leader Jadi Rana made a pledge to the then emperor of India that Zoroastrians, known in the region as Parsis, would not be a burden but would blend in like sugar into milk.

    But today they are a fading people across the subcontinent, with many affluent families from India and Pakistan leaving for the West.

    The community, which has long been active in business and charity, has been unnerved by the upsurge in Islamist extremist violence. One expert said the loss of the Parsis would be a “huge blow” to Pakistan’s diversity.

    Only around 1,500 are left in Karachi, Pakistan’s largest city, where they have “fire temples”, community centres and final resting places — where the remains of their dead are left in the open to be consumed by vultures according to their tradition.

    Parsis are often called “fire worshippers” because their religion considers fire — together with water — as agents of purity and fires are lit as part of religious ceremonies.

    They have long been discreet in observing their faith, but some, like 23-year-old art student Veera Rustomji, think they need to do more to preserve their heritage.

    “It’s been successful (in) that we have been an unattacked and unharmed community because of our low profile,” she said at her studio at the Indus Valley College.

    “But at the same time it backfires because a lot of people focus on how the community is becoming small numerically.”

    Business leaders 

    Rustomji has traced her family’s past in Hong Kong, where Parsis founded a university, a ferry service and hospitals. It is this link to business as well as charity that Byram Avari, the head of the Avari chain, one of Pakistan’s leading luxury hotel groups, said has allowed the community to build an enduring relationship with Karachi.

    “Before partition the ladies maternity home called Lady Duferfin hospital was put up (by) the Parsis, the NED college, now medical college, the Spencer Eye hospital and I cannot tell you how many numerous things have been set up by the Parsis for people of Karachi,” he told AFP.

    Parsis believe “in giving back what they had,” he added.

    But today young Parsis are leaving in droves.

    The past decade has seen Islamist violence soar, with religious minorities often in the extremists’ crosshairs. While Parsis have not been specifically targeted, many feel vulnerable.

    ‘We cannot see a future’ 

    “There is a general instability in the country. Because of this we cannot see a future for our community here right now,” says Kaivan Solan, a 27-year-old training to become a priest.

    Izdeyar Setna, 37, a freelance photographer with a slew of international clients, added that Parsis were seeking new lives in countries with larger Parsi communities, such as Canada.

    “I think most people are leaving because of a few reasons. One is security. The way things are, people are scared not knowing if things are going to get better,” he said.

    “So I think they are trying to get out. Most people are going to Canada, or the USA, wherever it is easy to get the visa.”

    In the city’s Parsi neighbourhood, the rotting stench of death emanates from the Tower of Silence, a large circular structure where the bones of the dead are kept in accordance with Zoroastrian practice.

    For many these traditions must go on, and the compound provides a sense of belonging.

    It is home to dozens of Parsi families but many have now hired armed guards because of attempts to seize their land by a neighbouring Muslim community.

    “Losing a community like the Parsis is definitely a huge blow to a tolerant Pakistan, its cultural diversity and economic well-being as Parsis have contributed immensely to the progress of this country,” said Rabia Mehmood, a researcher on religious minorities at the Jinnah Institute think thank.

    Not all the threats faced by Parsis are external. They are already facing a low birth rate and their marriage laws are extremely strict, forcing women to leave the community if they “marry out” — though men marrying non-Parsis is tolerated.

    “I would love to (marry) if I find the right person, but it’s difficult because the numbers are so small,” Rustomji, the student, said.

    Growing up in such a close-knit soceity, familiarity can breed contempt, she said.

    “I grew up in Karachi and all the Parsi boys I know since I was 10. It’s just science that I wouldn’t just fall in love with them when I turn 28,” she said, referring to the age by which most Pakistani women get married.

    “When Parsi men marry out of the community, they are undeniably accepted more and unquestioned… I find that very hypocritical because Zoroastrianism is a religion that advocates equality for both sexes.”

  • Earth has three trillion trees: study

    A 15-nation team led by Yale University experts used a combination of old-fashioned headcounts and state-of-the-art satellite and supercomputer technology to produce what they claim is the most comprehensive tree census ever.

    “I don’t know what I would have guessed, but I was certainly surprised to find that we were talking about trillions,” said the study’s lead author Thomas Crowther of the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies in Connecticut in the United States.

    But there was bad news, the researchers reported in the journal Nature.

    The calculation revealed that tree cover had nearly halved since the start of human civilisation.

    And the pace of deforestation has not abated: our species is currently felling some 15 billion trees every year, the study found.

    The team based their research on verified tree counts from some 400,000 forest plots.

    They then used satellite imagery to determine how factors like climate, topography, vegetation, soil conditions and human impact affected tree density.

    Developing models to estimate tree numbers at regional levels, they then drew a global map of Earth’s estimated 3.04 trillion trees.

    “The highest densities of trees were found in the boreal forests in the sub-arctic regions of Russia, Scandinavia and North America,” a Yale University statement said.

    “But the largest forest areas, by far, are in the tropics, which are home to about 43 percent of the world’s trees.”

    The bad news

    The team’s calculations revealed that of all the factors impacting tree numbers, human activity had by far the biggest effect, largely through deforestation and land-use change.

    There has been in total a 46-percent drop in tree numbers since humans began to clear land to plant seeds, the study found.

    “In short, tree densities usually plummet as the human population increases,” said the statement.

    “We’ve nearly halved the number of trees on the planet, and we’ve seen the impacts on climate and human health as a result,” said Crowther. “The study highlights how much more effort is needed if we are to restore healthy forests worldwide.”

    Apart from offering oxygen, fuel and shelter, trees store important quantities of carbon, which, if released, contribute to global warming.

    Simon Lewis of University College London, who was not involved in the study, said this was the first robust, global tree estimate.

    Quantity over quality?

    “Care is required when talking about numbers of trees as they are usually not the most important attribute of an ecosystem,” he said in comments to the London-based Climate Media Centre.

    “A plantation forest of many small trees all of the same type isn’t better than a patch of pristine Amazon rainforest with fewer very large trees of all different species.”

    Measuring a forest’s carbon storage capacity also requires more than counting trees, he added, as most carbon is held in large trees.

    A study by the World Resources Institute earlier Wednesday said the world last year lost some 18 million hectares (45 million acres) of tree cover-equivalent to two Portugals- more than half of it in the tropics.

    Halting deforestation is a key focus of UN negotiations, underway in Bonn, for a global pact to limit disastrous climate change caused by greenhouse gas emissions.

  • Wozniacki crashes out in second round at US Open

    Cetkovska outlasted Wozniacki 6-4, 5-7, 7-6 (7/1) in a night match at Arthur Ashe Stadium to book a third-round match against Italian 26th seed Flavia Pennetta.

    With the departure of former world number one Wozniacki, the US Open runner-up in 2009 and last year, the only top-10 seeds remaining in the year’s final Grand Slam tournament from the original draw are top-ranked Serena Williams, Romanian second seed Simona Halep and Czech fifth seed Petra Kvitova.

  • Sri Lanka coach quits after losing Tests

    Atapattu, 44, the seventh Sri Lanka head coach in the past five years, had tendered his resignation which was accepted, the cricket board said in a statement.

    “Sri Lanka Cricket thanks Mr. Atapattu for his efforts as Head Coach and Batting Coach of the Sri Lanka cricket team, and we wish him every success in all his future endeavours,” the statement said.

    It did not say why he resigned four weeks before his one-year contract was due to expire. Atapattu was also not immediately available for comment.

    His resignation followed India’s 2-1 win of a Test series in Colombo on Monday. India’s last series success in Sri Lanka came under Mohammad Azharuddin’s captaincy in 1993 when they won 1-0.

    Atapattu took over the team as its coach in September last year after Englishman Paul Farbrace abruptly quit months earlier to become deputy coach of England.

    Atapattu was the latest addition in a succession of coaches for Sri Lanka since 2010, following Trevor Bayliss, Stuart Law, Rumesh Ratnayake, Geoff Marsh, Graham Ford and Farbrace.

    He was asked to prepare the national team to face the World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, but Atapattu later blamed lack of fitness and poor form for the team’s failure to progress beyond the quarter finals.

    A prolific right-hander, Atapattu scored 5,502 runs from 90 Tests, including six double-hundreds, after making his debut against India in 1990. His 8,529 one-day runs included 11 hundreds.

  • Israel targets Hamas base after bullet fire from Gaza

    Shots from Gaza had on Wednesday hit a number of houses in Netiv Haasara, just north of the Palestinian enclave, causing damage but harming none, it said in a statement.

    “In response to the shooting, an IAF (Israel air force) aircraft targeted a Hamas military post in the northern Gaza Strip, from where the shots were fired,” it read.

    The army could not say whether the shots from Gaza had been deliberate or stray fire from the Hamas position, identified in Israeli media as a training base.

    There were no reports of casualties as a result of the Israeli attack.

  • China flexes military muscle as Xi lauds its power

    Speaking on the Tiananmen Rostrum where Mao Zedong declared the formation of the People’s Republic in 1949, Xi said “total victory” over Japan “restored China’s status as a major country in the world”.

    China

    After a 70-gun salute thousands of troops — including a detachment from Russia, whose President Vladimir Putin was the highest-profile foreign guest — marched in formation through the square, with tanks and missiles following and a flypast by around 200 aircraft in blue skies overhead.

    China

    Xi said that Beijing will “not seek hegemony” and China’s military — the largest in the world — would be reduced by 300,000 troops.

    China

    Authorities have previously made personnel cuts to the 2.3 million strong People’s Liberation Army in a bid to make it a more efficient fighting force.

    Beijing officially calls the conflict the Chinese People’s War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression and World Anti-Fascist War, and regularly criticises Tokyo for what it says is insufficient contrition over wartime atrocities.

    But it has repeatedly insisted the parade was not aimed at any particular country, including Japan.

    China

    “The unyielding Chinese people fought gallantly and finally won total victory against the Japanese militarist aggressors, thus preserving China’s 5,000-year-old civilisation and upholding the cause of peace,” Xi said.

    He described the conflict as “a decisive battle between justice and evil, between light and darkness”.

    The equipment on show for the first time included DF-21D missiles, an anti-ship ballistic missile seen as a “carrier-killer” that could alter the balance of power with the US in the Pacific Ocean.

    China

    A commentator on Chinese television described the weapon as a “trump card”.

    Under Xi, Beijing is moving farther away from former leader Deng Xiaoping’s dictum to “hide one’s capabilities, bide one’s time” and is becoming more willing to take harder lines, both externally and against domestic opponents.

    Putin was given a prominent position next to Xi on the rostrum, as were ranks of former Chinese leaders, including Jiang Zemin and Hu Jintao.

    Also present were leaders of Kazakhstan and Venezuela, as well as Sudan’s Omar al-Bashir — indicted by the International Criminal Court — and authoritarian Belarussian President Alexander Lukashenko.

    More mainstream guests included South Korea’s Park Geun-Hye, whose country was colonised by Japan, Jacob Zuma of South Africa — which with China is part of the BRICS groups of major emerging economies -– and UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.

    China

    Pakistan’s President Mamnoon Hussain was also present at the parade.

  • Iran police to confiscate cars of 'poorly veiled' women

    “If a (female) driver in a car is poorly veiled or has taken her veil off, the vehicle will be seized in accordance with the law,” the head of Tehran’s traffic police, General Teymour Hosseini, was quoted as saying by the official ISNA news agency.

    He added that any woman who had her car seized would need to obtain a court order before getting it back.

    Since the Islamic Revolution in 1979, wearing a veil in public has been mandatory for all women in Iran.

    But recent decades have seen a loosening of the rules governing female dress and many women in Tehran dress in a way that is far removed from the strict clothing regulations in other observant Muslim countries such as Saudi Arabia.

    “Unfortunately, some streets of the capital have come to resemble fashion salons,” Iran’s judiciary chief Ayatollah Sadegh Larijani said this week, questioning the “tolerance” that has led to “such a situation”.

    Iran’s moderate President Hassan Rouhani has since his June 2013 election overseen some political and social reform but much of the country’s political establishment remains deeply conservative. –AFP

  • Nine Syrian refugees die off Turkish coast — heart-rending images surface on social media

    A Turkish official said that three migrants were rescued and six more were missing after a fibreglass boat, which was carrying 16 Syrians, sank after leaving Turkey’s Bodrum peninsula for the Greek Aegean island of Kos.

    The corpses of seven migrants from the boat were found, the official told AFP.

    In a separate incident, two people died when a boat carrying six Syrians towards Kos sank just off Bodrum, according to the same official. Two people were rescued and search operations were continuing for the two others still missing.

    In both accidents, the coastguard was mobilised after hearing cries for help from the sea.

    There has over the last week been a dramatic spike in the numbers of migrants — mainly from Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Africa — seeking to leave Turkey by sea for Greece in the hope of finding new lives in the European Union.

    The Turkish government said on Tuesday that the coastguard rescued over 42,000 migrants in the Aegean Sea since the beginning of 2015 and more than 2,160 in the last week alone.

    Migrants, many of whom have paid over $1,000 to smugglers for the risky passage, are taking advantage of the calm summer weather which makes this the best time for the crossing.