web analytics

Abdul Qadir

  • Food and agriculture giant Cargill pledges $200mn investment in Pakistan

    Food and agriculture giant Cargill pledges $200mn investment in Pakistan

    ISLAMABAD: US-based food and agriculture company Cargill has decided to invest $200mn in Pakistan in agriculture, dairy farming, and cooking oil sectors, ARY News reported on Thursday.

    Marcel Smits, Chairman of the Asia Pacific and Head of Corporate Strategy at Cargill called on Prime Minister Imran Khan on Thursday and discussed various investment avenues in the country.

    The company, with operations in 70 countries of the world, specialises in food products, agriculture, livestock, dairy-farming, and food ingredients.

    Smits told the PM Khan that the company would invest the amount in the next three to five years.

    “Cargill wants to promote international standard dairy farming in Pakistan, which will not only contribute to its economy regarding revenue but will also provide employment opportunities to locals”, Smits was quoted as saying.

    Smits also noted that the current government was gaining international acclaim due to its transparency, saying that they had to wrap-up their business from Pakistan in 2012 due to the then government’s mismanagement and mala fide intentions.

    Read More: Bill Gates shows interest for huge investment in Pakistan

    Prime Minister Imran Khan welcomed the company’s decision to invest in the country and assured Smits of his government’s full support.

    “Cargill will be facilitated in the import-related matters and will be provided with the best opportunities for investing in Pakistan”, the prime minister was quoted as saying.

    PM Khan also said that the government was committed to facilitate the business community and the investors, stressing that transparency and streamlining of procedures was a priority of the government.

    He also said that the federal government would cooperate with Cargill on all levels.

  • PM Khan decides to attend parliamentary sessions, answer questions

    PM Khan decides to attend parliamentary sessions, answer questions

    ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Imran Khan has decided to attend the parliamentary sessions regularly from the upcoming week, and party leadership has been informed of this decision, ARY News reported on Thursday.

     

    Opposition members, earlier in the day during the national assembly session, had criticised Prime Minister Khan for his absence from the assembly. The matter was also raised in the national assembly session on January 14.

    Sources privy to the matter informed ARY News that the prime minister had been waiting for the formation of standing committees before registering his presence in the national assembly sessions.

    On Thursday, the government and the opposition parties came into an agreement over a formula for the standing committees in the parliament.

    According to well-informed sources, the matter of formation of the committees will be moved in the National Assembly next week, whereas the chairpersons of various committees will be elected after the motion passed by the lower house.

    Around 47 parliamentary and standing committees will be established in the parliament, sources said.

    Among 40 lower house standing committees, chairpersons of 21 will belong to the government and 19 will be from the opposition parties, as per the agreed formula.

    Read More: PPP won’t compromise if democracy is ‘attacked’: Bilawal

    It has been learnt that Prime Minister Imran Khan will be present in the parliament next Wednesday on January 23, when the government will present a supplementary budget.

    The Finance Minister Asad Umar will present the supplementary budget, and sources say the prime minister will be present during his speech.

    Apart from that, sources informed, the prime minister has also decided to be present in parliament every Wednesday to answer questions asked during the national assembly’s question-hour.

  • PM Imran appoints Nadeem Afzal Chan as his spokesperson

    PM Imran appoints Nadeem Afzal Chan as his spokesperson

    ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Imran Khan has appointed Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader MNA Nadeem Afzal Chan as his spokesperson on Tuesday.

    A notification has been issued by the PM House in this regard following a meeting between Chan and Premier Imran.

    Talking to ARY News, the MNA said the prime minister had assigned him a crucial responsibility and he would fully try to perform his duty diligently.

    He thanked PM Imran Khan for his trust on him.

    Former senior leader of the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) Nadeem Afzal Chan joined the PTI in April last year.

    Nadeem Chan started his political career as a tehsil nazim from Malakwal, Mandi Bahauddin in 2001. He was elected to the National Assembly from constituency NA-64 in 2008 general elections on the PPP’s ticket. He also contested the general elections 2013 from the same constituency but could not succeed.

    In October 2017, Chan resigned as PPP General Secretary in Punjab, citing ‘moral grounds’. Co-chairman PPP Asif Ali Zardari had pressed him to withdraw his resignation but he had declined to do so while affirming his affiliation with the party as a member.

     

  • Opposition parties have formed an alliance: Zardari

    Opposition parties have formed an alliance: Zardari

    ISLAMABAD: In a major political development, former president Asif Ali Zardari on Tuesday confirmed that opposition parties have formed an alliance together and will adopt a joint strategy on various political issues to give a tough time to the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf led federal government, reported ARY News.

    “The opposition parties are united,” said Zardari.

    He met Opposition Leader Shehbaz Sharif in his chambers along with Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, Jamiat Ulema-i-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) leader Maulana Asadur Rehman, Awami National Party’s Amir Haider Khan Hoti and other leaders.

    During the meeting, the participants decided to continue cooperation inside and outside the Parliament. A special committee comprising leaders from all opposition parties was formed to hold talks with the incumbent government on key political issues, including extension in military courts.

    The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) president hosted a luncheon in the honour of the politicians.

    It is pertinent to mention here that Prime Minister Imran Khan formed a two-member committee to look into the matter pertaining to an extension in military courts.

    The committee comprising defence minister Pervez Khattak and foreign minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi will consult the opposition parties over the matter and will report the development over the matter to the PM.

    According to sources, a draft bill prepared by Ministry of Law and Interior will also be presented to PML-N and PPP.

    The military courts were extended for two more years in 2017 and the issue is under discussion among political circles as the term of these courts expires on March 30.

  • PM Imran to leave for Qatar on January 22

    PM Imran to leave for Qatar on January 22

    ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Imran Khan will leave for Qatar on an official visit on January 22, ARY News reported.

    According to the details, PM Imran will hold meetings with the leadership and emir of Qatar and discuss the bilateral relations and regional situation, said sources.

    Sources said different deals and memorandum of understandings were expected during this visit.

    “The prime minister will also discuss about a deal on import of liquified natural gas (LNG) from Qatar,” they added.

    Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi, Finance Minister Asad Umar, Special Assistant to Prime Minister on Overseas Pakistani Zulfi Bokhari, Petroleum Minister Ghulam Sarwar Khan and the advisor on trade will also accompany the premier on his sixth foreign visit since assuming the officer of the prime minister.

    Earlier this month, PM Imran Khan embarked on a two-day visit of Turkey to strengthen the bilateral ties.

    The prime minister arrived in Ankara on January 3 and held meetings with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and other high officials during the tour.

    The premier also address a business forum in Turkey to offer attractive investment opportunities in Pakistan.
    https://arynews.tv/en/pakistan-turkey-resolution-kashmir-dispute/

  • Vawda, PM Khan discuss expected dates for Mohmand Dam’s groundbreaking

    Vawda, PM Khan discuss expected dates for Mohmand Dam’s groundbreaking

    ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister for Water Resources Faisal Vawda on Thursday called on Prime Minister Imran Khan to consult on the new dates for Mohmand Dam’s groundbreaking, ARY News reported.

    According to the sources privy to the development, Mr Faisal met the prime minister at his office in Islamabad, to discuss the new dates for the groundbreaking ceremony of Mohmand Dam.

    The PM was also apprised about the steps taken for the foundation laying ceremony of the dam.


    The Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA) chairman, earlier on Monday (January 7) had informed the Supreme Court that the Mohmand Dam will be completed by 2023.

    The Chairman WAPDA Muzammil Hussain briefed the court about the progress on dams work.

    A five member bench of Supreme Court headed by Chief Justice Saqib Nisar adjourned hearing of the case pertaining to construction of Diamer Bhasha and Mohmand dams till Friday.

    Last week, minister for Information and Broadcasting Chaudhry Fawad Hussain said criticising the government’s decision to award contract of Mohmand Dam to Descon Company was causing loss to the country.

    “Razak Dawood has no links with Descon consortium,” Chaudhry said while talking to a local news channel.

    Earlier, on Jan 3, Mr Vawda rejected the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) and Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) demand to revoke the contract.

    “Those demanding cancellation of the contract are hatching conspiracies. Such elements want to halt the country’s progress by making dams controversial,” Vawda said.

    “The dam contract was awarded on merit,” he asserted and offered an impartial probe in this regard.  “We are not the people who would work for commission.”

  • PM Khan approves dismissal of SSGC, SNGC managing directors

    PM Khan approves dismissal of SSGC, SNGC managing directors

    ISLAMABAD: The Cabinet Committee on Energy (CCE) on Tuesday recommended for forthwith dismissal of the Sui Southern Gas Company (SSGC) and the Sui Northern Gas Company (SNGC) Managing Directors (MDs) for their incompetence which led to a gas crisis in the country, ARY News reported.

    An inquiry report on the gas crisis experienced last month was presented in the meeting chaired by Prime Minister Imran Khan, with Finance Minister Asad Umar, Minister for Petroleum Ghulam Sarwar Khan, Power Minister Umar Ayub Khan, Minister for Planning and Development Khushro Bakhtiar and others in attendance.

    The report held the MDs of the SSGC Amjad Lateef and SNGC Ameen Rajput responsible for the crisis.

    Sources informed ARY News that a recommendation had been sent to the Ministry of Petroleum and notification for their dismissal would be issued very soon.

    The cabinet committee was briefed on demand and supply of gas and electricity in the country. Officials from the ministries of petroleum and energy were also present on this occasion.

    The prime minister directed both the national gas supplying companies to meet the gas requirement across the country within a week.

    PM Khan also directed the relevant authorities to improve mutual coordination for the supply of gas.

    The officials informed the premier that about 13 per cent of the gas was being stolen, causing a loss of nearly Rs 50bn in a year.

    The forum was told that 5,000 illegal gas supply connections were disconnected for drawing excessive gas through illegal gas compressors.

    The officials also told the prime minister about the reasons behind the electricity load-shedding. The PM was told that Rs 15mn were saved by launching a crackdown on electricity-theft and 16,000 cases were registered in this regard.

    Ordering for expediting the crackdown, the prime minister said it was unacceptable that people bore the brunt of electricity-theft.

    He also directed the officials to enhance coordination on the gap between the gas demand and supply.

     

    https://arynews.tv/en/pm-imran-orders-immediate-measures-to-end-load-shedding/

  • Bill Gates shows interest for huge investment in Pakistan

    Bill Gates shows interest for huge investment in Pakistan

    ISLAMABAD: Bill Gates, a billionaire philanthropist and the founder of Microsoft, in a letter to Prime Minister Imran Khan on Tuesday expressed his desire for huge investment in Pakistan, ARY News reported.

    In the letter, Bill Gates wrote that Microsoft could explore opportunities for investment in the country’s information technology sector.

    The president Dr Christopher Elias, president of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, delivered the letter to the PM.

    The letter has sought approval from PM for this purpose. Upon which, Imran Khan welcomed the good news and told that there were vast opportunities for investment in different sectors in the country, specially in IT for Microsoft.

    The prime minister also thanked Bill Gates Foundation for assistance in eradication of polio.

    The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has expressed commitment to continue efforts for polio eradication and improvement of health sector.

    https://arynews.tv/en/prime-minister-gates-support-pakistan/

  • Cabinet decides not to remove names from ECL forthwith: sources

    Cabinet decides not to remove names from ECL forthwith: sources

    KARACHI: The federal cabinet in a meeting on Wednesday reviewed the list of 172 people recently added to the Exit Control List (ECL) in connection to money laundering case and decided not to remove the names from the list forthwith, sources said.

    The cabinet meeting presided over by Prime Minister Imran Khan discussed the issue and decided that no name will be removed from the ECL immediately and each name in the list will be reviewed gradually and the decision of removal of a name from the list or not, will be taken accordingly.

    Minister of State for Interior Sheharyar Afridi and the legal experts briefed the cabinet members on the issue.

    The list included the names of former president Asif Ali Zardari, Faryal Taplur, Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, Chief Minister of Sindh Syed Murad Ali Shah and businessmen allied with the Pakistan People’s Party.

    Earlier this week, the Supreme Court directed the federal cabinet to review its decision of placing 172 people on the ECL in the fake bank accounts case.

    A two-judge bench of the apex court, headed by Chief Justice of Pakistan Mian Saqib Nisar, ordered the federal government to revisit its decision of placing 172 persons on the no exit list.

  • PM Khan telephones UN chief, expresses concerns over situation in Kashmir

    PM Khan telephones UN chief, expresses concerns over situation in Kashmir

    ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Imran Khan on Thursday expressed concerns over recent spell of barbarism by Indian forces in Occupied Kashmir that killed over a dozen and injured many, ARY News reported.

    In a telephonic conversation with the Secretary General of the United Nations, Antonio Guterres, Prime Minister Imran Khan raised concerns over the ongoing atrocities and brutalities being perpetrated against the Kashmiris by Indian security forces.

    “India is involved in serious violations of human rights in the held valley, UN should play its effective role for the solution of the decades long problem,” PM urged Guterres.

    Issue of Kashmir should be resolved according to the will of Kashmiris, they should be given their right of self-determination, the PM asserted during telephonic talk with UN chief.

    Earlier today, Federal Minister for Information and Broadcasting, Fawad Chaudhry, while briefing the media after the meeting of the federal cabinet, had said, PM would raise the issue of Kashmir with United Nations’ Secretary General.

    It may be recalled that, the Senate of Pakistan and National Assembly had already passed unanimously resolutions, strongly condemning the recent barbarism by the Indian security forces in Occupied Kashmir that claimed lives of a number of innocent Kashmiris in Pulwama.

    In senate, the resolution was moved by Pakistan People’s Party’s Sherry Rehman, while Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Ali Muhammad Khan, had tabled the resolution in National Assembly, that expressed severe distress over the recent wave of state terrorism in the held valley.

    The international community was urged to take notice of the rights violations in the Indian held Kashmir.

    Related: Peace in region to remain elusive without resolution of Kashmir issue: President Alvi